Wearing a Packer: A Guide for AFAB Nonbinary and Transgender Folks
For many people who identify as nonbinary or transgender, feeling comfortable in their bodies can be a rewarding but complex journey. This is especially true for folks who were assigned female at birth (AFAB) and who experience gender dysphoria related to the absence of a penis. Fortunately, there is a wide array of tools available that can help alleviate some of this discomfort. There are penis prosthetics, harnesses, paddings, and much more. These types of tools are commonly referred to as: packers!
What is a packer?
A packer (also known as FtM packer, prosthetic penis or ftm soft packer) is a prosthetic penis or a piece of padding that emulates the visual effect of having a penis, and the feeling of having one. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, and can be worn in underwear or harnesses designed specifically for packers. Packers are often made of soft silicone, and some can be attached to the body using adhesives or harnesses. Some of these, like Emisil Prosthetics, are extremely realistic. Others, like the Mr. Limpy, are less realistic but more budget-friendly. For those who are not looking for a realistic shape, but simply something that will fill their pants there is the option of a foam padding. Foam packers are paddings that can be pinned to your underwear or that can be worn in special underwear, and that will create the illusion of a bump.
Why wear a packer and how do FtM packers work?
There are many reasons why someone might choose to wear a packer. For some folks, it can alleviate gender dysphoria related to the absence of a penis. For others, it can simply be a way to feel more comfortable and confident in their bodies. Some people wear packers for sexual purposes, while others wear them in everyday life. It all depends on your personal wishes!
How to choose a packer?
Choosing a packer is a personal decision and there is not one "right" way to do it. However, here are some things to consider when choosing a packer:
- Size and shape: Packers come in different sizes and shapes, so it's important to find one that feels comfortable and affirming to you. You may want to consider the size, shape and color of the packer you choose.
- Material: Different materials can feel different against your skin, so it's important to choose a material that you find comfortable. Silicone is a popular material for packers, but some people prefer a more fabric-like material like foam. Make sure you’re not allergic to the material of the packer you’re looking to get!
- Price: Packers can range in price from less than €20 to over €100. Packers that are very realistic tend to be higher in price range. Keep this in mind when looking for packers!
- Goal: a regular packer is usually only intended as a ‘filler’. If you’re looking for FtM Pack and Play packers or an StP packer, keep this in mind when choosing a packer.
How to wear a packer?
Once you've chosen a packer that feels affirming and realistic to you, it's important to learn how to wear it properly and comfortably. Watch the video below for a visual explanation on how to wear your packer:
We’ve also collected some tips that might help you elevate your packer-game:
- Choose the right underwear: Some packers are designed to be worn with specific types of underwear, so it's important to choose the right pair. Many people prefer boxer briefs or briefs with a pouch for the packer.
- Use an adhesive or harness: Some packers come with adhesive strips that allow you to attach them directly to your body. Others require a harness or strap to keep them in place. Make sure to choose a method that feels comfortable and secure to you.
- Adjust as needed: It may take some trial and error to find the right fit and placement for your packer. Take the time to adjust it as needed to ensure that it feels comfortable and realistic.
- Practice: Wearing a packer can take some getting used to, so don't be discouraged if it feels awkward at first. With practice, it will start to feel more natural.
In conclusion, wearing a packer can be a powerful tool for AFAB nonbinary and transgender folks who experience gender dysphoria related to the absence of a penis. While choosing and wearing a packer can take some trial and error, with the right tools and mindset, it can be a transformative experience.